Working on a painting project?
Not sure how to use painters’ tape correctly?
Small paint projects are something almost any DIYer can tackle. That is, if you know that the most important part of painting is the prep work.
Let’s dig into a few of our top tips for using painter’s tape.
Tips for Applying Painter’s Tape
- Choose the right tape: for a basic wall refresh, multipurpose tape is great. But there is also tape for delicate surfaces, rough surfaces (like brick), exterior surfaces, and for decorative shapes.
- Clean surfaces: to ensure the tape will stick, lock out bleeds, and make sharp lines, clean your surfaces before painting. In the bathroom and kitchen, this can mean cleaning with a degreaser. In bedrooms, mild soap and water will do the job.
- Press to seal: after applying each strip of tape, run your finger along the edge to guarantee the best seal and crisp lines.
- Use small pieces: painter’s tape is easier to work with in small pieces. Along detailed edges and curves, tiny pieces of tape are the way to go.
Tips for Removing Painter’s Tape
When you’re done painting, it’s still not over! Follow these important tips to remove your painter’s tape and reveal beautiful, clean lines.
- Remove immediately: tape pulls up easily without chipping if you remove it directly after painting. If you’re painting an entire room, remove the tape from the area where you started painting first.
- Score the edge: there are some cases when you can’t or don’t want to remove the tape right after you finish painting. In that scenario, scoring is your best bet. Score the edge where the tape meets the freshly painted surface with a putty knife or razor blade then pull up the tape.
- Pull angle: remove the tape by pulling back at a 45-degree angle. If the tape is stuck in a trickier area, a 90-degree angle may work better.
Call Mussio Painting Professional Painters in Ann Arbor
With these painter’s tape tips, you’re ready to take on your summer projects.
If all this prep work sounds intimidating, don’t worry. The best tip for effortless prep and fresh paint jobs is to give us a call at Mussio Painting, your professional painters in Ann Arbor. Our attention to detail is just what you need to freshen up your space. Reach out today!
Contact us today at (734)995-2646